Daily exercise is extremely important for a dog, and having a high-quality leash is the best way to make sure that your walk goes smoothly. When it comes to choosing a dog leash for your pup, there are a number of factors to consider. The length, thickness, and weight of the leash you choose will depend on your dog’s size and strength.
Dog leashes for large dogs up to 110 pounds need to be especially sturdy. There are also dog leashes that offer specific benefits to prevent your dog from pulling on the leash or to give him some gentle correction as he learns proper leash etiquette.
Because there are so many leashes to choose from, it can be difficult to make the right choice – especially if you don’t know what to look for. That’s why I’ve done the work for you in researching the best dog leashes on the market. Below, you will find my top picks (in no particular order) for the best dog leashes for large dogs based on design, construction, and user reviews.
Timber & Tide Outdoor Co – Leather Dog Leash
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon $37.99
Size: 6 ft x 7/8 in
Weight: 12 oz
Warranty: 1 yr
Amazon Review: 4.8 out of 5
This is a very attractive, premium heavy-duty 100% full-grain leather leash. It’s incredibly strong yet supple and soft enough to keep your hands comfortable on long walks. The antiqued hardware is made for the toughest-pulling dogs and is designed to withstand constant use unlike other leashes on the market. The high-quality leather is water resistant and easy to keep clean with a good leather cleaner. There is an unmistakable attention to quality and detail and Timber & Tide Outdoor Co. also engineered this leash to maximum military and law enforcement grade strength while also providing supreme comfort and functionality making this one of my top four leashes.
- 100% top grain leather is comfortable and attractive
- Made to last, strong antiqued hardware is extremely strong for the biggest dogs.
- Leash is a little thin (4mm) and could be chewed through so keep it out of reach when not in use.
Flexi – Giant Tape Leash
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon $27.69
Color: Black / neon
Size: 26 ft x 5/8 in
Weight: 1.6 lbs
Warranty: 2 yrs
Amazon Review: 4.6 out of 5
- Retractable leash allows your dog to explore the area, letting him go out as far as the leash will go. By using the switch on this type of leash, you can reel him back in if he is distracted during the walk.
- Let’s say it’s pouring rain and your dog needs a bathroom break. You stay under the porch for shelter while your dog does his business. Convenient if you’re all dressed up and don’t want to get wet.
- Retractable leashes are not meant to be used when first training your dog to properly walk on a lead. To discourage pulling, your best bet is to start off with a traditional 4- to 6-foot fabric or leather leash.
Leashboss Original – No-Pull DBL Handle Training Lead
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon $27.98
Size: 5 ft x 1 in,
18 in handle
Weight: 4.8 oz
Warranty: 5 yrs
Amazon Review: 4.7 out of 5
Walking your dog is supposed to be enjoyable for the both of you, but all too often, it ends up feeling like a tug of war! An ordinary training leash just doesn’t provide enough control to keep a big dog who loves to pull on course when you’re walking down the sidewalk or through the park. The Leashboss Original Heavy Duty Dog Leash for Large Dogs is a unique dual handle dog leash with a non-bending traffic handle 18 inches from the leash’s clip and a second handle at the end of the 5-foot long pulling dog leash. Both handles are amply padded to ensure your comfort and prevent leash burn when your dog starts to tug. This leash is ideal for dogs over 40 pounds and can hold up to the force of vigorous pulling. Wonderful leash and therefor, must go on this list.
Leashboss Duo – No Tangle Leash for Walking Two Dogs
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon $32.98
Size: Handle 12 in,
Coupler 11-20 in
Weight: 9.6 oz
Warranty: 5 yrs
Amazon Review: 4.7 out of 5
- Heavy-duty construction
- Comfort grip handles, dual handle design
- 5-foot length ideal for large dogs
- Made in the USA and covered by 5-year satisfaction guarantee
- Somewhat expensive, shorter length limits the dog’s freedom
Dogs with poor leash manners are not bad dogs. Most are likely just energetic, smell-driven, or excitable. While bad leash behaviors are likely to be ignored more in small breeds, a shocking number of large and strong dogs are also left to repeat negative habits over and over again on-leash. These situations become increasingly dangerous with the size and power of a dog. The more pull the animal has, the more likely a human is to lose control, possibly resulting in one of several terrible scenarios. Entering a crosswalk while traffic is heavy, lunging at wild animals or other pets, intimidating children or dog-fearful adults, or worse.
These four leashes are all excellent choices to keep your dog safe and to keep you in full control of your dog. If you are also looking for a good, strong harness for your large dog see my companion article ‘Dog Harnesses for Large Dogs – Comfort & Control’
I hope you enjoyed my post and I encourage you to leave comments and questions below. I try to answer questions within a day or two.