Cheapest Place to Buy: Whistle DIRECT $79.95
Dimensions: 1.6″x1.3″x .6″; 0.96 oz
Guarantee: 90 days
I’m a dog sitter and a week ago I took advantage of the best GPS dog tracker Whistle 3 during the Black Friday sale. I bought four trackers. Amazon has them for $79.95 so I saved almost $100 buying direct with the special sale. The one I got for my dog, Bailey, has the benefit of acting like a FitBit by keeping track of his activities. The other three trackers are for safeguarding my dog sitting guests in case they try to make a run for it. I live in a suburban area with a busy intersection just a few blocks away and I have always dreaded one of the dogs getting lost or hit by a car.
I had a brief scare with a would-be “escape artist” who inexplicably got out even when surrounded by a 6-foot tall fence. Luckily, she only got a few blocks away returning home to where her owner lives. But now that visiting dogs get to wear a Whistle 3 collar I have invaluable peace of mind!
The Whistle 3 GPS trackers is the most popular product on the market because the unit is very lightweight (50 grams), with a very adjustable fit, it costs less than others on the market (like Links and Tractive) and the battery life is amazing! I’ve had these trackers for a week and have not had to recharge them yet!
- Design – A lot of thought went into designing this product. First, there’s the physical unit that is small (1.6″x1.3″x .6″) and weighs less than an ounce. It attaches easily and securely to collars up to 1″ wide.
- 3 Points of Protection – Combines GPS, Wi-Fi and cellular technology for the most reliable, accurate tracking available for your pet. GPS determines the location when your pet is away from “home” and then sends the location to your smart phone via 3G cellular service (no SIM card purchase required).
- Geo-Zones – Whistle 3 requires that you have Wi-Fi at home or where you want to designate a “safe place,” of which you can have several. When your pet is within the range of designated Wi-Fi locations, Whistle switches from GPS to Wi-Fi to save power and battery time. And then when your pet goes (escapes) outside of Wi-Fi range, it automatically switches back to GPS.
- Battery Life – If your pet stays in home Wi-Fi range, you can get about 5 or 6 days on a battery charge, but if continuously outside of its home Wi-Fi range it’ll only get 1 or 2 days on a charge.
- Waterproof – For hunting dogs, or other water loving creatures, the unit is sturdy and waterproof.
- Set-up – Fairly easy and takes about 10 minutes. While at home or other designated Wi-Fi location, the app’s screen shows your pet within a shaded circle indicating the approximate range of the Wi-Fi router.
- Alerts – You can set up the app to send you an alert – text or email – when your pet goes in or out of Wi-Fi range. If you open the app while your pet is beyond Wi-Fi range, the screen will show your pet’s most recent location on a map, satellite or terrain view. You can also look at the track of any trips he or she has taken during the latest 24 hours.
- Monitor Activity-Track your dog’s daily activity and rest to keep your companion in great shape for their age, weight and breed.
- Track Progress-Set custom goals and receive notifications if there are significant changes to their activity or sleep patterns. Now you both can rest easy.
- Low Battery Alert – Finally, the app shows you the percentage of battery charge remaining and sends an alert if the battery charge is low. If the unit is on the charger, the app will also send an alert when it’s fully charged.
- Software compatibility Apple iOS 9.0 or later
- Android device 5.0 or later
- Power and battery Lasts up to 7 days.
- Battery life is impacted by the strength of your Wi-Fi and cellular coverage.
- Whistle will send you a notification when your battery needs to be charged, and a full recharge only takes 2 hours!
- Durability Shock resistant and waterproof (IPX7)
- Weight 0.92oz and attaches to any collar or harness up to 1″ wide
- Recommended for pets 8lbs and up
Once you get the tracker you will need to set up a low monthly subscription to the AT&T cellular connection service, which ranges from $6.95 – $9.95. Whistle 3 GPS has many features alongside the actual location tracking, and is great for owners looking to assess their dog’s activity levels, set exercise goals and track various trends. One $7-10 subscription is good for one tracker only.
Note: The cellular service Whistle uses has nothing to do with the cellular provider you use for your mobile phone, so it works regardless of which company supplies you with cell service.
Why do I need a Wi-Fi connection?
Wi-Fi serves a few very important functions for Whistle 3 and is designed to give you the most comprehensive and accurate tracking: During activation, you will be required to setup a Wi-Fi network associated with your pet’s Place(s). It allows Whistle 3 to quickly upload activity and location data about your pet so you can view your pet’s latest info with the app on your smartphone. When your pet’s Whistle is connected to Wi-Fi, we know they are safe. When in Wi-Fi, Whistle 3 is in power save mode, preserving battery for when your pet leaves their Place. In power save mode, you are not able to track your pet as it is assumed they are safe when connected to Wi-Fi.
Why do I need a subscription plan?
Whistle uses America’s largest cellular network for on-demand location tracking anywhere in the U.S. if your pet gets away. Each device requires a subscription plan to work, and you will be prompted to select a plan when activating your Whistle 3 (options start at just $6.95/month).
When will I select my subscription plan?
You’ll be prompted to select your subscription plan when setting up your device on the Whistle 3 app. Subscription plans start as low as $6.95/month.
Does Whistle 3 only come in one size?
Yes. Whistle 3 only comes in one size but is designed for any pet over 8 lbs. Works great for smaller dogs and cats too!
How long does the battery last?
Whistle 3 lasts up to 7 days. Battery life is impacted by the strength of your Wi-Fi and cellular coverage. Similar to your cell phone, it depends on usage as well as your environment. Whistle sends you a notification when your battery needs to be charged, and a full recharge only takes 2 hours!
- You can set a customizable Whistle Zone and the tracker will inform you if your dog breaches its boundaries
- You can track location directly from your smartphone
- Will locate your pet in real time and provide satellite imaging of their location
- One device works for multiple pets, you can move the tracker to different pets as needed
- Uses both cellular and GPS technology so that you can track your dog’s location anywhere with cell service
- On-demand alerts are delivered through the app and via SMS
- Fully waterproof and very durable
- Tracks periods of activity and rest and allows for analysis over the short and long-term
- Allows you to set customized goals for activity levels
- Power and battery Lasts up to 7 days.
- Only works in the US
- Accuracy of the map address function can be unreliable in particularly rural areas (although satellite imaging seems to always works well)
- App defaults to activity level so you must go through a couple of steps to get to the map
The sleek design attaches to your pet’s existing collar and you can track your pet from an Android or iOS phone. Whistle 3 GPS tracker offers a range of features that are comparable to Tractive and AKC Links but it costs a good deal less and has twice the battery life!